What is it?
A vegetarian biryani that uses mushrooms instead of meat.
- 250 g mushrooms
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 potato
- ½ tbsp garlic paste or 1 crushed garlic clove
- ½ tbsp ginger paste or 1/2 inch ginger sliced thinly
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup biryani powder
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Soak rice for 2 hours.
- Mix biryani powder in ⅛ cup water.
- Slice onions and set quarter aside as garnish.
- Fry onions in hot oil until golden.
- Add tomatoes and fry until water is released.
- Add mushrooms, garlic paste, ginger paste, yoghurt, potatoes and Biryani masala to the pan.
- Stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan add rice to 4 cups of water and a pinch of salt.
- Cook rice until water has completely evaporated.
- In a clean saucepan, layer half the rice, the mushroom curry and then the remainder of the rice.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes on low heat.
- Serve with onions.