In 2020 I set some sustainability goals that I wanted to practice in 2020. Roughly a year later, I audited those goals to see how I was doing. tl;dr – not very well. So here is my renewed committmemt to some sustainability goals for 2021 and 2022.
- Continue eating a vegetarian diet, unless I am traveling and want to sample local cuisine.
- Do not buy sodas or water that come in plastic bottles.
- Cut down soda consumption to “special events”.
- Only buy vegan alternatives to milk and cheese products, unless I am baking, in which case I prefer whole milk.
- Switch from oat milk to the most sustainable nut milk.
- When buying eggs, look for the following labels, “Animal Welfare Approved”, “Certified Humane Raised and Handled”, “Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Certified” (Levels 3 and above), “No Antibiotics”, “Certified Organic”.
- Stop buying eggs from grocery stores and instead get them from farms themselves.
- Cut food delivery down to once every 2 months.
- Reduce food waste:
- Cook from my pantry to reduce the supplies in there.
- Only buy ingredients that will last indefinitely in the fridge or that I can use up.
- Freeze ingredients when needed.
- Grocery shopping in person only
- Continue using reusable totes and produce bags when grocery shopping.
- Cancel Amazon Prime account. This means no more purchases via Amazon. Since I don’t have a Prime account, I shouldn’t be tempted by 2 day delivery anyway.
- Keep restricting my online orders to 1 a month. Now that stores are opening up, I should be able to find most things I need in physical stores instead of having to find them online.
Since I am working from home for the rest of this year, my commute is significantly reduced. However, I want to use this time to create better commute habits:
- Walk places that are within 1 hour walking distance.
- Learn how to ride a bike over the coming months. Use said bike to commute to places that fall outside my walking range once I am able to.
- Look into how I can ensure that my new electric car is only being charged using renewable energy.
Here, I am committing to doing more research in this field, so that I can make my travel more sustainable.
- Start looking into how I can make my travel habits more sustainable (not buying travel sized toiletries for e.g.)
Given my track record, I will audit this blog to see how I am doing once a quarter to make sure I am abiding by these rules. 🤞🏽Let’s hope I am able to meet these goals and add to them!