It’s been 4 months since I hit the Buy button on my car and 7 days since I have been in possession of it. So here is my quick review on the process of buying a Tesla as well as my first impressions.
I test drove the Tesla in February 2021 and had decided that I wanted to get the Model Y for the height, range and space. However, due to unrelated circumstances I didn’t order one till July 26 and then started the long wait! 😛 Here is the buying process described as I experienced it:
- Test drive a car
- Order the car onsite (via tesla.com) or on the website at home. Pay the $100 holding deposit upfront.
- Here you must pick how you want to pay: Cash, lease or loan. I went with an external loan so I paid cash.
- Note that the price listed includes things like registration and delivery.
- Wait AGES for the car to be ready. I ordered in the midst of a supply chain shortage so I waited 4 months for the car!
- Install the Tesla app so that you get a notification once the car is ready to be delivered.
- Once the car is ready to be delivered you will get a notification in your app and via email that the car is ready to be delivered and then you can start the last mile tasks.
- Arrange for a delivery date by calling the provided number.
- Provide your car insurance details. Here you get the option to buy Tesla’s own insurance as well.
- Sign a lot of documents pertaining to car registration, delivery liability, etc.
- Receive the delivery of the car (you can either go for the contactless option or have someone walk you through the car controls and specifics).
I have had my car for 7 days and 317 miles! Here are my impressions so far:
- EVERYTHING in this car from regenerative breaking to software controls takes getting used to!
- Charging at a super charger feels incredibly culty! It’s a line of Teslas and their owners all doing the same thing 😛 It felt weird to me!
- The Model Y is a lot bigger than I was expecting so parking it as a new driver has definitely been challenging.
- The voice controls are pretty spot on even when I mumble instructions.
- The phone call quality is not clear at all!